• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Ahoy me hearties!

cuckoo996

Staff member
By now you should all know me well enough that I'm a man who likes to take upon an opportunity when it presents itself.
(Em reckons impulsive, same thing in my book 😁)

As if the motorbike, veg garden, canoeing and wildcamping weren't enough hobbies, well I've managed to aquire a 19ft sailing boat!

20240502_232839.jpg
20240502_232911.jpg

1976 Robert Tucker Mk III Caprice 19
3 berth Bilge keel pocket cruiser, 6hp outboard with folding mast, depth finder, UHF radio, all working.

Needs a coat of paint, some joinery in the galley, a rewire, a new rubbing strake, a name, and she's ready to go.
Same make of boat that Shane Acton sailed around the world, just his was a Mk I, and it took him 8 years.

I'm definitely having a midlife crisis! 🫣😆

Nice project Jon.......a bit of TLC and she will come back looking good.
Bought and sold a goodly few boats back in the day......glass and timber.
Have you bought it to renovate and then sell it on?.....or are you going to hang on to her and sail her when she is ready?

Oh she's a keeper mate. It's going to be a second home, I've got till April next year to get the interior ripped out and rebuilt, and learn how to sail, and get a passport then I'm off on the open seas 😀

Game on by the sounds of things.....lots to do and learn......good luck with it all :thumbsup:

Nice one! I think there are a few sailors here who can give you a few pointers with the sailing, including me. They do say, however, that a boat is a hole in the water that you pour money into! 😂

Nice one! I think there are a few sailors here who can give you a few pointers with the sailing, including me. They do say, however, that a boat is a hole in the water that you pour money into! 😂
Well I got her through exchange/bartering. So no initial cost. Just the boat club fees and insurance which over a year is quite cheap less than £300 a year, plus fuel to get me up the estuary is probably one of the cheaper hobbies I have had over the year. I'm friends with the RYA principal instructor, he's going to teach me the basics but will need plenty of advice going forward.

That sounds ok, looks like you've fallen on your feet there. Where is she berthed? Let me know if you need a hand with anything, including crewing.

Welp, that should keep you off the street corners for a good while. 👍🏻 😁
And a whole new bunch of knots to learn.
Enjoy.

The YouTube views might even pay some of the bills Jono, I’m sure boat ownership ain’t cheap.
Standard costs for my boat:
Insurance £120
Club membership £80 annually
Mooring fee £60 annually
Crane in and out of the water £150 annually
Fuel £150 annually

Total £ 560 per year to own

Depending what goes on the boat, repair costs can be between £1 and £1500

Could have cheaper fees at other places, but where I am will be fine for the next year or 2.

Who knows, I may get really good at sailing and decide that's the life for me and sail off into the sunset?

The earlier models of my boat were plywood and have been sailed around the world, so anything is possible. More than enough room for 1 to live aboard the boat.

I'm only here once, and want to try everything I can before I'm too old 😉

Standard costs for my boat:
Insurance £120
Club membership £80 annually
Mooring fee £60 annually
Crane in and out of the water £150 annually
Fuel £150 annually

Total £ 560 per year to own

Depending what goes on the boat, repair costs can be between £1 and £1500

Could have cheaper fees at other places, but where I am will be fine for the next year or 2.

Who knows, I may get really good at sailing and decide that's the life for me and sail off into the sunset?

The earlier models of my boat were plywood and have been sailed around the world, so anything is possible. More than enough room for 1 to live aboard the boat.

I'm only here once, and want to try everything I can before I'm too old 😉
Let’s hope Em doesn’t read that and realise that you’re about to eff off on a slow boat to Bali…

Last edited:
Let’s hope Em doesn’t read that and realise that you’re about to eff off on a slow boat to Bali…
Yeah right🤣 she would hunt me down, and take my sails away!
I wouldn't go anywhere withouth Em and Jen. I'll just talk her into letting me get a bigger boat 😉 and we will all sail off together
⛵👨‍👩‍👧 🌅

Back